Canning updates will be coming soon!
Canning is a fast and easy way to fundraise! All you need is a can, a friend, and desire to H2K! Check our calendar for times and locations of events around Pittsburgh. You can also follow us on social media for updates about where and when to can in Pittsburgh!
New To Canning?
Never canned before? No worries, there are sign ups to join members of PDM on canning trips for a stress free learning experience. Even if you have canned before, we encourage you to join our board members to start fundraising early. Just place your name in an open slot and your phone number next to your name!
Below is a heavily detailed guideline for canning in and around the Pittsburgh area. Emma Potter, the Canning Director, put this together so canning can become easier and more familiar to people who have never canned before. If you have any questions or concerns, contact her at email@example.com
- Go to the Canning Signups 2018-2019 document in the drive.
- Pick a day that works for you and add your name!
- The sign-up sheet is only for PDM members use. If you have a friend on a DM team that would like to go canning, please contact me.
- Wait to be added to a GroupMe containing all of those going on your canning trip.
- I create the groups (typically) on Sundays, so I make groups for all the trips going Monday through Sunday of the upcoming week. If it is Monday and you haven’t been added to a group yet for your trip, send me a message!
- If you sign up to can after Sunday, during the week of your trip, let me know so you can be added to your group.
- Discuss in the trip’s GroupMe when/where to meet before your canning trip.
- It is best to be at the event’s location 1 hour before the event begins, but plan as a group when works best for everyone.
- NEVER GO CANNING ALONE! If you are the only person signed up when it comes time for your trip, try to recruit some friends (lmk), or switch your date.
- Get your cans.
- You can decide upon a person or two who can go and retrieve cans and signs for the whole group, or everyone can go on their own.
- Cans can be picked up in the Greek Office on the 6th floor of the Union. The office is open: Mondays-Fridays 8:30am-11pm, Saturdays 1pm-8pm, Sundays 3pm-10pm.
- They will be in a container outside of room 649, behind the desk.
- Please use the Can Sign-Out when retrieving the cans.
- Meet to go canning!
- Have at least one group member bring along a backpack/bag to put the cans in so you are not carrying money openly on the public bus.
- If going to PPG Paints Arena, meet at the stop Fifth Ave opposite Thackeray Ave (across the street from Towers) and catch any of the following (inbound) busses: 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 67, 69, or 71A. Get off at the Fifth Ave/Washington Pl stop directly outside of the arena.
- If going to Heinz Field, meet at the stop Fifth Ave opposite Thackeray Ave (across the street from Towers) and catch any of the following (inbound) busses: 61A, 61B, 61C, or 71B. Get off at the Sixth Ave/Wood St stop by Wood Street Station. Enter the station and take any train to North Side Station (closer to tailgating lots) or Allegheny Station (closer to the stadium).
- If going to Stage AE, meet at the stop Fifth Ave opposite Thackeray Ave (across the street from Towers) and catch any of the following (inbound) busses: 61A, 61B, 61C, or 71B. Get off at the Sixth Ave/Wood St stop by Wood Street Station. Enter the station and take any train to North Side Station.
- Once your arrive, find the right place to stand.
- At PPG Paints Arena, DO NOT stand on the side of the street near the main entrance with the flame. You can stand down the street from the main entrance near Subway, across the street from the entrance on the corners by the PNC bank, or near the parking garages. If there are other groups in those places, you can go up top near parking lots, as long as you are not too close to the building.
- At Heinz Field, you are able to walk through the tailgating lots and ask for money, but go in small groups and be smart. You can also stand outside the entrances of these lots where there is a lot of pedestrian flow. Street corners are fine as long as they are not on the same sidewalk as the stadium.
- Go home with your canning money.
- When you are ready to leave the event location (usually when the event is starting/when pedestrian flow has majorly slowed), send a message in the GroupMe for the rest of your group to meet up.
- Put all cans, with money in them, into a bag/backpack before going to the bus stop.
- At PPG Paints Arena, walk up the street beside the PNC Bank and catch any of the following (outbound) busses at the Forbes Ave/McAnulty Dr stop: 61A, 61B, 61C, 61D, 71A, 71B, 71C, or 71D. Get off at Forbes Ave/Bouquet St FS if on any of the 61 busses. Get off at Fifth Ave opposite Thackeray Ave if on any of the 71 busses.
- At Heinz Field, walk to either North Side Station (if closer to the tailgating lots) or Allegheny Station (if closer to the stadium) and ride the train to Steel Plaza Station. Catch any of the following busses at Fifth Ave/Ross St stop: 61A, 61B, 61C, 71A, 71B, or 71D. Get off at Forbes Ave/Bouquet St FS if on any of the 61 busses. Get off at Fifth Ave opposite Thackeray Ave if on any of the 71 busses.
- At Stage AE, walk to North Side Station and ride the train to Steel Plaza Station. Catch any of the following busses at Fifth Ave/Ross St stop: 61A, 61B, 61C, 71A, 71B, or 71D. Get off at Forbes Ave/Bouquet St FS if on any of the 61 busses. Get off at Fifth Ave opposite Thackeray Ave if on any of the 71 busses.
- When you arrive home, count the money in your can.
- Split the money evenly amongst those who stood with you.
- Fill out a PDM Canning Form for each person you are splitting your money with (each person needs their OWN slip filled out with name, amount, date, and location).
- If your money does not come out completely even, distribute the cents as needed.
- Take your money ASAP to Lexie Elliott.
- Lexie is in her office in WPU 644 on Mondays-Thursdays 2:30pm-3:30pm.
- Money should be in a ziplock bag or envelope with the canning slips also inside.
- If you are unable to get your money to Lexie during this time, please reach out to me.
- Return your can to the Union (this can be done when you turn in money!!).
- Fill out the “returned” portion of the Can Sign-Out.
- If a friend is going canning shortly after your own trip, you may give your can to them, but you MUST designate it on the sign-out sheet (there is an example at the top).
- If you are going on another canning trip that same week, you may keep the can with you, otherwise please return it.
Things to Remember
- Money will be counted typically every other Thursday, and then need a few more days for processing into your donor drive.
- If you can no longer go when you are signed up for, and you’re already in a GroupMe for your trip, let me know. If you haven’t been added to a GroupMe yet, just remove your name from the sign-up please.
- Your name will be removed from the Canning INcompletes sheet when we receive and get to process your money from your canning trip.
- HAVE FUN while canning! You are doing such a great thing by raising money for families at CHP!
- You can go canning more than just to meet your requirement!
- Those who go canning the most during any month will receive an incentive prize after the month is over.